The 2018 deadline for all contests
Will be announced in Spring 2018.
Each year Georgetown students are eligible to submit entries for the following writing awards:
See submission guidelines below.
The Lynch Pendergast Medal
For the best essay on any topic in the discipline of English (no longer than 5,000 words; open to juniors and seniors only)
The Ora Mary Pelham Poetry Prize
(cash award & one year membership to the Academy of American Poets)
For the most outstanding poem or group of poems (a "group" may not consist of more than five poems; any group of poems should be saved together in one PDF. Open to undergraduates and graduates)
The Quicksall Medal
For the best essay on Shakespearean drama (no longer than 5,000 words; open to undergraduates only)
The Bernard M. Wagner Medal
For excellence in writing in any genre except drama (no longer than 7,500 words; fiction, nonfiction and poetry; open to College freshmen, sophomores, and juniors only)
The Annabelle Bonner Medal
For short fiction that demonstrates technical skill and promise in the art of the short story or narrative (no longer than 7,500 words; open to seniors only, in any college or program)
Entries not adhering to ALL of the guidelines will be automatically disqualified.
1. Entries should be submitted through THIS Google Form.
2. The form will ask for the following identifying information:
- Your Name
- Your School (e.g. COL, SFS, etc...)
- Year of graduation
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Mailing Address
- Name of award(s) you are entering submissions for this year
- Title of the work(s) submitted
3. A separate section on the form will ask you to upload a PDF of each of your entries by award.
- The PDF should include a cover sheet with the title of your entry.
- DO NOT include your name anywhere in or on the attachment
- Please save the PDF with the following title format: “Award Name_Title of Entry”
- i.e. Pendergast_Global Pictures
- The awards may be abbreviated to the following: Pendergast, Pelham, Quicksall, Wagner, and Bonner
You can submit up to TWO (2) entries for each award.
All work must have been written during your time as a Georgetown student.
Submit entries via THIS Google Form.
All questions or concerns can be directed to email@example.com.