How To Declare a Major or Minor In English

Students wishing to declare a major or minor in English should obtain an "Academic Program Changes" form. To print off an electronic copy, click on this link. Hard copies are available from either the Dean's Office in White-Gravenor Hall or the English Department office in New North Hall 306. Take the completed form to the Director of Undergraduate Studies during the office hours listed below.

There the "Academic Program Changes" form will be signed, and students will be assigned an adviser. Advisers make sure students understand the Major requirements, help design a course of study, and ensure students are on track toward completing their Major requirements.

During Fall 2019, the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS), Professor Daniel Shore will hold office hours at the following time(s):

Monday: 3:00–4:30pm

Wednesday: 1:00pm–3:00pm

During Fall 2019, the Assistant to the Director of Undergraduate Studies is available for students declaring majors at the following times:

Tuesday: 4:30pm–6:30pm

Thursday: 9:00am–11:00am

Email your questions to the DUS Assistant, Ms. Erin Herbst at

Majors who have specific questions about the completion of their major requirements (i.e. transfer credits from other institutions, registration, or major requirements, etc.) should contact Professor Daniel Shore to schedule an appointment.

Descriptions of Foundation Courses, Lower-Level and Upper-Level Electives, and Senior Seminars can be found under The Curriculum.