HOW TO DECLARE A MAJOR OR MINOR IN ENGLISH
Students wishing to declare a major or minor in English should obtain an "Academic Program Changes" form. To print off an electronic copy, click on the link here. Hard copies are available from either the Dean's Office in White-Gravenor Hall or the English department office in New North 306. Take the completed form to the Undergraduate Studies Office (New North 414), during the office hours listed below.
There the "Academic Program Changes" form will be signed, and students will be assigned an adviser. Advisers make sure students understand the Major requirements, help design a course of study, and ensure students are on track toward completing their Major requirements. Advisers also approve pre-registrations in November and April.
During Spring 2017, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Professor Christine So will hold office hours at the following time:
During Spring 2017, the Assistant to the Director of Undergraduate Studies is available for students declaring majors at the following times:
Majors who have specific questions about the completion of their major requirements (i.e. transfer credits from other institutions, registration, or major requirements, etc.) should contact Professor Christine So to schedule an appointment.
English Majors must complete the following ten courses:
- One Methods of Literary and Cultural Studies course (ENGL 090)
- One Literary History I course (ENGL 091)
- One Literary History II course (ENGL 092)
Foundation Courses do not fulfill the HALC (Humanities: Arts, Literature, Cultures) requirement.
- Six English Electives total
- 2 out of the 6 electives need to be upper-level electives (ENGL-304-459) [Prerequisites: Students must take one Foundation Course (ENGL 090, 091, or 092) to register for an upper-lelvel elective]
- The other 4 electives can be fulfilled by any ENGL course (ENGL-100-499).
- One Senior Seminar (ENGL 460 - 499)
At least one of the six electives or the Senior Seminar must be focused on pre-1800 literatures (ENGL 100-139, ENGL 304-349, ENGL 460-469).
Foundation Courses should be taken as early in the major as possible. The Senior Seminar should be taken in one’s senior year.
English Minors must complete the following six courses (please note that four out of the six courses must be ENGL courses taken in theis department):
TWO Foundation Courses
- One Methods of Literary and Cultural Studies (ENGL 090) AND
- One Literary History I (ENGL 091) OR 1 Literary History II (ENGL 092)
Remember, Foundation Courses do not fulfill the HALC requirement.
Four electives at any level (ENGL 100-459).